#socialmediabuttons {text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; display:block;} -->
Saturday, March 17, 2012

Blog O'hop: My Wife is Guest Posting:)

Aloha,
I planned to post in celebration of the Blog O’hop, but last week, my wife gave me a card for our ten-year “blind date anniversary.
The beautiful one (and that SIGGY guy :)
Inside was a letter she wrote. (Originally, she meant it as a surprise post for Paddy’s Day, but she doesn’t have a blog account.)
However, with her full permission, here is my wife’s non-prize winning entry to the Blog O’hop, (she’s already won my heart, sheesh, what does she need with a box of Lucky Charms. J )

So, I present the amazing woman who has to deal with me offline!

Take it away, Sweethie…(oh and the italics are allllll me J )

I never celebrated St. Patrick’s Day growing up. There were no special meals, no special traditions – except I made sure to wear green so I wouldn’t get pinched. 

I mean, who was St. Patrick, and why do we celebrate him anyway?

He was born in Wales, kidnapped by the Vikings (the Danish ones, not the Minnesotans) and later drove the snakes out of Ireland… they later found the promised land of “D.C.”)

And, why would someone get pinched if they weren’t wearing green?

No idea, must Google that one day… we don’t pinch in Ireland…

It wasn’t until ten years ago that St. Patrick’s Day became more significant in my life. After a wonderful, interesting blind date on March 9, 2002 – the Irish guy I met who had that cute Oirish accent – decided we shouldn’t meet up the following week (it was St. Patrick’s Day!)
Me and me Ma

Mrs. Koopmans never raised any fools. 

Good call on his part, because this “okay” guy turns into Super Irish Guy on St. Patrick’s Day, dressing up in all green and wearing an Irish Flag cape!

SIGGY flies through the Pub with the greatest of ease! ….. Wheeeeeeee (CrASH!!!) oops, sorree!

(We probably, no I take that back, we wouldn’t have had any more dates had I met “Mr. Super Irish Guy” so soon in our budding relationship.)

What?? I look dead sexy in an Irish Flag cape and my clown’s pants…

A year later, on March 9, 2003 – Super Irish Guy proposed to me at Shamu Stadium (in front of thousands of people at the big Jumbotron at Sea World San Diego! 
Who does that?!?  Seriously?

Me! Me! Me!

But, with those blue Irish eyes smilin’ at me, of course I said YES!

(Blushes)

So, I have been blessed to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with a true Irishman these past nine years!
He doesn’t turn into Super Irish Guy with the cape and all anymore.

(Yes, SIGGY is semi-retired… but nine years is merely the time it takes for him to drink one pint…)
However, we do make sure to wear our green… (Still don’t know why you get pinched if you don’t!)
Still haven’t checked Google… 

We’ve celebrated with corned beef and cabbage meals… and even “anti-corned beef and cabbage dinners.”

Otherwise known as the Triple B, y’all: Burgers, Brats & Beer J

One time he even made homemade Irish soda bread!
It was quite edible, and the remaining half-loaf was a fantastic door-stopper for six months.
Although we don’t have any special traditions or meals – we have each other and the three wee little lads God has blessed us with through the years!

\Amen! 

I love you, Sweetie more than 333 words can say!

Ohhh, I love you, too… (Quick kiss), agghhh, people are watching, I’m getting all shy J
                                                                    ###
Thanks to my life and wife for such an awesome present… this was so cool. I hope y’all didn’t mind us sharing it.

If I can leave you with two Irish blessings, starting with my personal favorite:
May you be in Heaven at least a half-hour before the bartender realizes your bar tab is still open.
And
May you one day walk a winding road with the wind at your back and meet someone at the top of the hill who can finally shed light on why, for the love of Pete, we get pinched if you’re not wearing green.
Happy St. Patrick's Day from the Koopmans Ohana

28 comments:

Meradeth Houston said...

This is absolutely adorable! You two are so cute :) Thanks for sharing your story, and for the blog hop!

PR said...

Awwww! Superheroes are making a comeback, you will need your cape! :)

Janice said...

I have tears in my eyes and goosebumps on my arms. Thank you for sharing your story <3. So cute!

Kelley Lynn said...

Awww, Thanks Gen for the wonderful post! What a great story :)

Tara Tyler said...

that was beautiful! and what a good lookin family!

but since when did irish guys start sayin y'all?

happy st p day ta you and yourn

Morgan said...

Looooooove.

Gen, you're absolutely beautiful and match Mark's hilarity! You are SO funny! Loved the story. And the pictures were WAY fun! Such a lovely family! :D

(And if you google the answer to the pinch thing, let us know)

M.J. Fifield said...

Oh, this was so much fun to read. But why are there no pictures of SIGGY?

Happy Saint Patrick's Day...

Anonymous said...

You guys just made my day. So beautiful...I can't stop smiling. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)....

joeh said...

You are a lucky Dude...er Lad.
I googled it for you, I like this one the best

Forgot to wear green on St. Patty’s Day? Don’t be surprised if you get pinched. No surprise, it’s an entirely American tradition that probably started in the early 1700s. St. Patrick’s revelers thought wearing green made one invisible to leprechauns, fairy creatures who would pinch anyone they could see (anyone not wearing green). People began pinching those who didn’t wear green as a reminder that leprechauns would sneak up and pinch green-abstainers.

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Cranky Old Man

joeh said...

You are a lucky Dude...er Lad.
I googled it for you, I like this one the best

Forgot to wear green on St. Patty’s Day? Don’t be surprised if you get pinched. No surprise, it’s an entirely American tradition that probably started in the early 1700s. St. Patrick’s revelers thought wearing green made one invisible to leprechauns, fairy creatures who would pinch anyone they could see (anyone not wearing green). People began pinching those who didn’t wear green as a reminder that leprechauns would sneak up and pinch green-abstainers.

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Cranky Old Man

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You proposed at Sea World? You win, my friend!

Lara Schiffbauer said...

That was so sweet! Thank you for sharing a little of your happy, romantic life with us! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Hope Roberson said...

That was super sweet! What a beautiful family you have, and so impressed by your proposal, lucky gal :) Sounds like you lucked out yourself ;) Happy St. Patrick's day and thanks for the fun bloghop!

Claire Hennessy said...

What a great post and what a lovely family - you obviously have the luck o' the Irish to win the lovely Gen. Happy St Patrick's day (sorry didn't get to join the blog hop - maybe next year)

Megan Dolan said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day Mark! Thanks for the fun blog hop. You have a beautiful family!

Leigh Covington said...

Awww! I love your wife! What a perfect post for today! And a beautiful, beautiful family! You are truly blessed. Now I want to go make corned beef and cabbage for din. My hubs would be so excited!

Mandi said...

Now that is a fantastic love letter. Who needs Valentine's when you get a St.Pat's note like that?

Thanks for the blog hop - I just linked up!

Tony Van Helsing said...

Brilliant post.

Cortney Pearson said...

Loved this! What a great story and a beautiful family you have!! :D Btw, hubby went around pinching me and the kiddos until we all put green on!!

Jen Conroy said...

LOL. I love the double posting (he said, she said...) Made for very funny reading. :)

I hope you picked up a gazillion gallons of sunblock for that Irish skin! It was peeing rain and hailstones here today *glares green envy at the mention of Hawaii*

Happy St Patricks day!

*Pinch* ;)

Miranda Hardy said...

You are a beautiful family and that story is so sweet, it made me smile. No small task, btw.

Happy St Patrick's Day!

Unknown said...

Your family is beautiful! Mrs. Koopmans looks like a wonderful lady! Love her red hair!
That proposal is one of a kind, too!
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Nicole said...

What a beautiful story! Happy St. Paddy's and congrats on the lovely family and life. :)

ali cross said...

SUCH a beautiful family! And a very sweet story. *Nice to meet you Gen!*

Happy blind-date-aversary! (or proposalversary?) AND Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Suze said...

Duh, you're Irish. I didn't realize that 'til just now ...

Lovely family pic, Koop. Thanks for hosting.

Rek Sesh said...

An endearing tale and a lovely family picture. Belated Paddy Day.
Cool proposal that one.
Have a great week ahead.

Sarah Tokeley said...

I got nothing funny today. That was just lovely. 'Scuse me, I think I've got something in my eye ...

Anonymous said...

I really think your story is adorable! And I think your wife is adorable too!

Loved your st. Patty's day story!

Post a Comment

Dude saunters up to Dude-ette: You Comment Here Often?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;